(JACKSON, Miss.) – Jackson State University’s Sonic Boom of the South Marching Band has been selected as one of eight bands to participate in the Honda Battle of the Bands 2011 Invitational Showcase. Honda officials will officially extend the invitation at noon, Tuesday, Nov. 8, at the F.D. Hall Music Center. The public is invited to join in the celebration.
Chosen from among 41 top-shelf bands at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) across the U.S., the Jackson State University’s Sonic Boom of the South Marching Band will be one of eight elite participants in the 10th annual Invitational Showcase to be held at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on Saturday, January 28, 2012. In addition to an all-expenses-paid trip to the 2012 Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase, Jackson State will earn a $20,000 grant from Honda for its music education programs.
This year’s event theme, “The Homecoming,” reflects on the 10th anniversary of the Honda Battle of the Bands and calls for all HBCU marching band alumni, current HBCU students and the many fans of the event to meet in Atlanta for this special anniversary showcase event. The homecoming theme also highlights the importance of marching band culture to black college homecoming celebrations.
“We are excited to be celebrating 10 years of the Honda Battle of the Bands as we continue to support the music education programs of our nation’s HBCUs,” said Marc Burt, senior manager, Office of Inclusion and Diversity for American Honda. “We hope that Black college marching band fans and alumni will attend this year’s Invitational Showcase as we anticipate a great community turnout and even greater performances by the top eight HBCU marching bands.”
The following eight bands have been chosen to participate in the 2012 Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase:
- Albany State University “Marching Rams Show Band” (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference)
- Bethune Cookman University “Marching Wildcats” (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Jackson State University “Sonic Boom of the South” (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Prairie View A&M University “Marching Storm” (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- South Carolina State University “Marching 101” (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Tennessee State University “Aristocrat of Bands” (Independent)
- Virginia State University “Marching Trojan Explosion” (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association)
- Winston-Salem State University “Red Sea of Sound” (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association)
– JSU –
About Jackson State University: Challenging Minds, Changing Lives
Jackson State University, founded in 1877, is a historically black, high research activity university located in Jackson, the capital city of the state of Mississippi. Jackson State’s nurturing academic environment challenges individuals to change lives through teaching, research and service. Officially designated as Mississippi’s Urban University, Jackson State continues to enhance the state, nation and world through comprehensive economic development, health-care, technological and educational initiatives. The only public university in the Jackson metropolitan area, Jackson State is located near downtown, with three satellite campuses throughout the city. For more information, visit http://www.jsums.edu.